Monday, March 14, 2011

Unwritten

Song: Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

This is a song that frequent. I thought it may be helpful to just have the lyrics...

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your innovations
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

Movie: Sleepless in Seattle
This is one of those movies that I watch everytime it's on. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are such an awesome pairing. He is healing from his wife passing away. She is in a convenient relationship that's complicated-- she's not head over heels crazy in love with him. She doesn't have that feeling that overcomes Cary Grant and Deborah Carr in An Affair to Remember.
[Rabbit trail: After finishing watching the season finale of the Bachelor tonight, my friends and I rehashed the crazy things that women say and do in the name of love-- or feelings. One of my favorite lines from tonight is, "I feel if we can charter these waters with great white sharks, our relationship can endure anything." Well- no it can't. I'm sorry to say.]

Meg Ryan's character loved the man she was with- his food allergies, sinus problems and all. Women, at times, bend in order to fit into men's lives. While I think compromise is necessary in every relationship- not to the extent that you lose your true identity. But she longed for more. This too is innate in women. We want more. We want steady and grounded yet passionate and spontaneous. We want witty and sarcastic yet gentle and kind. We pay for curly hair in the same transaction we purchase our hair straightener. She took a risk. She followed her heart and refused to settle for someone that was convenient or familiar. She took a chance and met her Cary Grant at the top of the Empire State Building.

2 comments:

  1. "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories".

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We've already missed the spring." So impressed with you that you not only remembered but were able to quote it. Would you look at that?!

    ReplyDelete