Thursday, March 24, 2011

Gentlemen

My mother first introduced me to Turner Classic Movies in high school. I was already an avid movie watcher. This genre of black and white movies, however, was unlike any other. It was pure and simplistic and wonderful. Cary Grant quickly became my favorite. In every one of Cary Grant's films that I've seen he has such a stature and grace about him that exudes a man of confidence and manners. I think mainly because of the culture and time in which his films were made. It was a time in which men were raised to be gentlemen.

By definition a gentleman is a cultured man who behaves with courtesy and thoughtfulness. When most hear some described as being a gentleman it would imply they have manners. They know how to say please and thank you. They know how to open the door for a lady. I had the pleasure of teaching a manners class for students ranging from 1st grade to 12th grade for a couple years. In my curriculum I covered all these details. I covered when and how to send a thank you note. I discussed table settings and which fork to use (I couldn’t very well tell them to watch Pretty Woman) And I covered the essential item of being a gentleman- which I think it quite often overlooked. A gentleman cares for others. He is thoughtful and puts others before himself. By definition alone, it’s difficult for one to be a gentleman when he does not consider another person’s feelings. You don’t offer a lady a seat when there are no other vacant seats because you have to, but you do so because you care. Being a gentleman means being a man of your word and always following through with what you said you would do. Why? 1) Because it’s the right thing to do. & 2)Because that is truly what women are looking for. They want a gentleman who cares for others, puts her first and is willing to fight for truth. This is simply a thought I continue to ponder. When one says they are a gentleman just know this is to what I am I expecting them to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment