Saturday, October 8, 2011

Duncan the Wonder Dog

Song: Don't Rain On My Parade by Barbra Streisand
My world has recently changed. After several nos from the pet rescuers, I did what any girl desperate for a dog would do- I went to craigslist. This is where I found Duncan. A month prior I picked up a collection of short stories at the library about pet owners who had lost their beloved pets. I knew I would cry. I knew I would want my dog even more. And it was all true. The real concern happened when I found myself tearing up while helping a customer in a tacky embroidery dog t-shirt. Usually it would have been because they were too old to wear such a shirt but for that day it was because I was deemed an unfit parent by the pet rescuers. I would drive home and see people walking their dogs and wonder- did they have to go through rigorous questioning and home visits to get their dog? I don't think that means you love your pet more, it just means you're a serious pet owner. Duncan has been with me a week. He's a 4 month old black Scottish Terrier with brindle tipped ears. He has eyes that make you melt and make me talk in a very high pitched tone. I find myself rushing to want to get home- even taking my seat belt off before rounding the last corner to pull into the driveway.
I absolutely love him. And while he's a puppy and has already chewed through a cord and demolished a heel to one of my shoes, I know that all the training and bumps along the road will be well worth it. To some this may seem ridiculous. But for little ol me, he's the one consistent that needs me to love him. He doesn't judge me. He won't understand me all the time. But he'll never give up on me. He'll be there to console me and to love me along the way. I am so grateful for him.
Movie: My Dog Skip

No comments:

Post a Comment