Monday, September 5, 2011

Tick Tock

Song: Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper/ Time by Culture Club
It's time that we want to speed up to get to the next season of our life. It's time that we want to slow down during a 3 day weekend or vacation. Time is so precious. It's times of waiting that we learn to trust God for His best. It's times of waiting that we learn it's worth waiting. Time helps to gain a fresh perspective. Because in the end, we can hurry things up to get instant gratification for something that is so-so or we can practice patience which perfects and prepares us for what's to come. I continue to convince myself it's worth the wait because deep down I know it is.



Movie: Time Changers
Let me first start by saying I highly recommend not seeing this movie. I saw this time travel movie one New Year's Eve night at church-about 10 years ago. I had just started actively attending church again. Let me also state that when I get involved in something, I'm all in. I went all in to church, no turning back. There were some good points to that. I learned to have a relationship with God. I learned how important it is to give of your time and resources. I learned that God has graced us with talents and gifts. This last point I got but I didn't fully grasp how I could utilize my gifts without having it encompassed in a Christian field. Seeing as my passion was film and acting, Time Changers was my first eye opening experience with a Christian film. I had spent 4 years in college marking off the list of those American Film Institute's top 100 films I watched. Time Changers did not come close in any category of great acting, cinematography, direction or writing. It didn't make the list. I wanted to run out of the building. Instead I watched the movie and left crying and thinking this was the fate I was doomed to have. I thought I could only watch films that had a good message that were G or PG. Because of this, I watched very few movies for about 3 or 4 years. I surpressed the very thing I loved most. So maybe I took this to the extreme. Balance- it seems is something I continue to learn how to obtain. It took time for me to see that I could do what I'm passionate about without it having to involve people acting as biblical characters in their 100% cotton sheets. I realized that more than anything people want to see and experience stories that encourage and motivate them. Who doesn't enjoy a feel good movie? Who doesn't love the passion behind William Wallace in Braveheart? There definitely is a market for Christian film and acting. But ultimately people do not want God to be shoved down their throats. Nor do they want to be a cookie cutter of a person. It is possible to love God with all your heart and be yourself. People want to make the decision themselves. It's our job to expose the truth. It's the truth that empowers people. It's truth that changes heart motives. It's truth that brings freedom. These are the stories I would love to tell. And in time, I will do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment